Sunday, July 12, 2009

Can I replace a HDD with an Ultra ATA/66 interface with a HDD using ATA 7?

I have this old crusty Fujitsu Lifebook C with a physically damaged hard drive. The hard drive in the laptop now is a discontinued item, and is proving rather difficult to find (part # MHM2200AT). I can, however, find numerous other hard drives that fit the 2.5" form (for instance, the MHV2040AT), but they use different interfaces. The old hard drive used Ultra ATA/66, and the newer drives use ATA 7. Would I be able to mount a hard drive using the ATA 7 interface in a laptop whose previous hard drive was Ultra ATA/66?





I'm pretty sure it'll work fine, but I'd rather get a second opinion before I shell out the $$, know what I mean? :)

Can I replace a HDD with an Ultra ATA/66 interface with a HDD using ATA 7?
I have never tried this in a laptop, but I have installed a newer IDE (ATA133) in an older computer which originally used an ATA66 harddrive. These newer ATA drives are backward compatible to the older ATA interface and will run at the slower transfer speed of your harddrive controller. Just be sure not to get a SATA drive - it won't work.
Reply:Yes it will work


No comments:

Post a Comment